March 22, 2018
GM commented on funds raised for a family in need and the generosity of the community.
A review of Winter Wind Storm RIley
A review of Spring Snow Storm Toby
May 19th a community seminar for addiction and mental health issues at the Country Club
Two Resolutions - One on the Open 30 and One on Electronic Voting of the BoD.
Discussion on the redesign of the front entrance to add a 2nd incoming lane and make the visitor merge safer
A clarification on what requires a community vote
Questions about fees for leagues and our storage lot
GM taking a new look on a 55 and older community inside AH first looked at in 2006. increased revenue and meeting a need.
• The GM commended the community for raising $5k in under 24 hours to help with funeral expenses for aa family who lost their infant grand-daughter.
• Winter wind storm Riley unleashed its fury on the region and Aquia Harbour took a pounding. 95% of the community lost power, some were out for 4 days.
o Here is what we did well
Communication with residents
Opening the Country Club locker room for hot showers
Opening the business office conference room as a charging & warming station
George/Country Club open for hot coffee and a limited menu Roads were cleared quickly
Assisted our neighbors in Widewater
Tapping local resources for Dominion resources
o Here are some areas that didn’t go as well.
Gate phones went down - back up Gate rollover cell phone also went down when the Sprint Tower went down.
Our road crew also has Sprint phones so we had black outs there as well but used the PD and APV as information runners.
The office generator failed so our server went down
Repeater was down and portable radios would not work for our volunteers because the CC was without power.
A generator for the Country Club would have become very important if we had gone another day. (April)
o Corrections that we’ve made
Office Generator has been fixed
All Generators now on an annual maintenance contract
A small portable generator will be added for repeater at the CC
Portables will be issued to Maintenance & R/G
Info line will be added to Gate
Extension cords added to conf room
Revisit CC Generator in April and may consider the Harbour Inn as well
Twitter added to comms
HI Showers will be opened next time as well
If all comms go down information will be typed and posted at amenities
o The GM also want to take a moment to acknowledge and thank the Employees. Everyone from the Gate to Public Safety, maintenance, Road & Grounds and Golf Maintenance. The Golf Course alone lost 35 trees all that had to be cut up and removed and a great job by residents who both stoic and generous with each other.
o Spring Snow Storm Toby
Turned out to be a very low impact event because everything closed and our crews kept the little bit of accumulating snow off the roads.
• Parking pads.
o We do allow them with ACC Approval
o The problem is they eliminate a place for water to collect
o The Construction Manual clearly puts the onus on the home owner
o R&G recommends limiting parking pads
• IT TAKES A COMMUNITY – Drug Addiction and mental health seminar. Sponsored by the Public Safety Committee
• Resolution – Electronic Voting
WHEREAS, Article VI, Section 1 of the By-Laws provides the Aquia Harbour Property Owners Association, Inc. (Association) Board of Directors (Board) with the powers and duties to manage the affairs of the Association; and
WHEREAS, Article VIII, Section 3 of the Bylaws and Virginia Code §13.1-841 of the Nonstock Corporation Act, Action Without A Meeting, provides the Aquia Harbour Property Owners Association, Inc. (Association) Board of Directors (Board) with the powers to take action without a meeting; and
WHEREAS, the Board has determined that it is in the best interest of the Association to allow for electronic voting by the Board of Directors under certain specific conditions; and
WHEREAS, The Board shall require that all electronic vote be restated/ratified in an open meeting and entered into the official record.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Board of Directors hereby adopts the following:
Electronic voting is to be exercised judiciously and only when delaying the matter/action until the next regular meeting is found to be against the best interest of the AHPOA. This determination shall be made by the Board President.
The Board Secretary shall ensure that all electronic votes be included for ratification at the first regular board meeting following the electronic vote and then entered into the official minutes.
The effective date of the action shall be the date of electronic vote unless otherwise specified in the language of the electronic vote.
All Directors must consent, i.e. respond electronically pursuant to §13.1-841(C) in order for the electronic vote to be valid.
Just as in a meeting, Directors will have the choice of affirming the action (Aye), voting against the action (Nay) or abstaining. The majority shall carry the decision.
• Resolution – Open 30
• WHEREAS, Article VI, Section 1 of the Bylaws provides the Aquia Harbour Property Owners Association, Inc. (Association), Board of Directors (Board) with the powers and duties to manage the affairs of the Association; and
• WHEREAS, Article VIII, Section 5 of the Bylaws provides one-half hour (Open 30) at the beginning of each regular meeting for active members to speak on any subject so long as that member provides the Secretary within three hours prior to the meeting notice of the desire to speak; and
• WHEREAS, there is no Bylaw provision nor legal mandate on the time allotted to an active member to speak during the Open 30; and
• WHEREAS, the primary purpose of regular Board Meetings is to conduct the business of the Association.
• NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Board of Directors hereby adopts the following Resolution:
• Active members wishing to speak during the Open 30 of a regular Board Meeting are required to sign up with the Board Secretary at least 3 hours prior to the meeting and are expected to notify the Board Secretary of their primary topic.
• Speakers shall be provided 3 minutes to speak, which will be timed.
• Open 30 speakers are required to follow the Rules of Conduct for meetings established by the Board or shall otherwise forfeit their opportunity to address the Board.
• Each speaker is allotted one opportunity to speak during the Open 30 per regular Board Meeting.
• Speakers shall refrain from personal attacks, defamation, profanity or unruly behavior.
• Nothing in this resolution shall preclude the Board President from extending a speaker’s time or inviting active members from the gallery to speak at the discretion of the President, who will consider the totality of the circumstances.
• Mowing contract is up for bid. Bids In exec session package.
Board of Directors
Reference the meeting. The special meeting on this matter was very productive and there was a consensus on the following objectives:
1) The second incoming lane incoming visitor lane
2) To address the safety issue of the visitor’s merge AFTER the gate entering the Harbour
3) Extend the visitor merge
4) Move the outgoing lane over to accommodate a longer visitor merge
5) Hot sticks to the incoming resident lane
6) Add a gate arm for night time access control
7) Expand and remodel existing gate
8) Wait on the joint public safety parking lot until the FD redesigns their building
9) Pricing for each segment
10) Add some distinctive marking in front of the Fire Department
• A Director wanted to clarify something from Town Hall regarding community votes. That a QUORUM (about 450 votes) is needed to change the bylaws, but a full 2/3rd (1600 votes) is needed to change the covenants and restrictions or to spend Reserve savings for a non-reserve (replacement) purpose.
• A Director asked for a clarification on why leagues pay a fee to the Harbour for field use, even when they are mostly made up of residents who are allowed to use the field for free. Katherine will look up the history of this.
• A Director asked about our storage lot and said our price is very low and wondered if we have an area that would support another one. Katherine will check on it.
• The GM mentioned that she had pulled the file on the age 55 and older housing idea from 2006. She said there is a need in the community for older people who want to stay in Aquia Harbour but can no longer keep up with large houses. It would be a substantial annual revenue stream for AHPOA and meet an unmet need. She will be reviewing all of the files from the 2006 effort and talking with members of the former committee before bringing a prospectus to the Board.
Meeting adjourned at 7:45p
I will be out of town next week. Our own Katherine Shaw will be sitting in for me at the meeting. I will get with her when I return on April 2nd to put out the Board Meeting notes. :)
Patricia Harman, AHGM
Meeting adjourned at 7:45pm
Welcome to the Aquia Harbour Property Owner's Association website. After you register, you may want to spend a bit of time reviewing the "tutorials" forum.
Mar. 20 - Board work session at the business office at 7 p.m.
Mar. 27 - Regular board meeting 7 p.m. at the Country Club