While it’s too early to “worry”, it’s not too early to PLAN. A state of emergency for Virginia has been declared. Hurricanes are erratic and unpredictable - so stay tuned and pay attention to the track of Hurricane Florence especially if you live in a flood plain. You probably already know this because you pay an insurance premium but if you’re not sure check the attached FEMA flood map.
If you live in a flood plain you should have an evacuation bag packed and ready to go so if the situation begins to deteriorate, you are ready to move it!
Your evacuation bag should contain;
• Lightweight cots or folding chairs
• Blankets or sleeping bags
• Flashlight and extra batteries
• Personal hygiene items
• Extra clothing for each family member
• Special dietary foods if non-perishable
• Infant formula, diapers, pins, baby food, if needed
• Portable radio or weather radio
• Books, a deck of cards or a small board game
• Insurance papers, birth certificates, family heirloom jewelry.
• A few hundred dollars in cash.
The attached checklist posted by Brenda Lay is very comprehensive. The biggest threats from hurricanes STORM SURGE, FLOODING RAIN, WIND and TORNADOS. Tropical storm conditions for us usually mean 24-36 hours without power, a few downed trees, Lions Park flooding and standing water on the roads. We’ll keep you posted.
Patricia Harman, AHGM
Welcome to the Aquia Harbour Property Owner's Association website. After you register, you may want to spend a bit of time reviewing the "tutorials" forum.