Aquia Harbour Committees
Committee Volunteers Needed!
If you are interested in playing a leading role in the activities of your community why not volunteer your time and skills to serve on one of the association’s committees.
If you have any questions, or would like to sign up, please call the AHPOA business office at 659-3050 or email us. Thank you!
The Architectural Control Committee (ACC) is appointed by the Board of Directors and is specifically charged with the responsibilities of assuring compliance with the provisions of the Restrictions and Covenants as they may apply to all new construction and with approving all exterior changes to existing homes.
The ACC currently meets each Wednesday, except during the months of November, December and January, at 4:00PM in the conference room at the Aquia Harbour Office to review all applications that have been received since the previous meeting. During the months of November, December and January, the ACC meets only on the first and third Wednesday of the month at 4:00 p.m. in the conference room.
Applications must be received no later than close of business of the day before the committee meets, i.e. 5:00pm on Tuesday. If the application is approved a letter will be sent out to the home owner stating approval. If the application is disapproved a letter will be sent stating why the application was disapproved.
Many times the approval will be held up because of items that are needed in order for the approval to take place. Below are a few things to bear in mind when submitting an application:
a. Set backs (40′ from the front property line and 10′ from the side and back property lines)
b. There cannot be more than one detached building that is being used for garage or storage purposes on a lot.
c. Culvert (ditch) pipe size varies by lot. Please check with the office if you are unsure what diameter pipe is required for your property. Pipes must be made of double walled plastic.
d. Headwalls must be made of either concrete or pressure treated 6×6 lumber. Headwalls must extend at least 5 1/2″ down and around the bottom of the culvert pipe.
e. Sheds that are 250 square feet or more require a Stafford County building permit.
f. Retaining walls that support more than 24″ of unbalanced fill require a Stafford County building permit.
g. Boat docks and other similar structures require permits from a number of different agencies. Stafford County is a good place to start.
h. An annotated copy of the plat or sketch of the property showing the location and dimensions of the work to take place must be submitted with the application.
Applications can be downloaded from this website.
Homeowners are invited to attend the committee’s meeting.
To contact the Architectural Committee or obtain more information about the committee, please call the business office at: (540) 659-3050
BEAUTIFICATION COMMITTEE CHARTER
COMMITTEE: Established hereby is the Aquia Harbour Beautification Committee (BC) which will have as its primary purpose the preservation and appearance of the facilities and grounds within the Corporation known as the Aquia Harbour Property Owner’s Association, Inc. (AHPOA), as established by the AHPOA membership in accordance with the Restrictions and Covenants and Articles of Incorporation mandated by statute of the State of Virginia.
COMPOSITION: The BC shall consist of a minimum of (5) members in addition to a member of the Board of Directors (BOD) who shall serve as a voting member and liaison to the BOD, all of which shall be appointed by the BOD. Each member shall serve for a term of one (1) year or until his/her successor is appointed by the BOD and shall be an active member in the Association for his/her entire tenure in office. The board member on the Committee shall call an organization meeting at which time Committee members shall appoint a Chairperson and a Secretary. At any meeting of the Committee at which the Chairperson is absent, or the Secretary is absent, the members shall elect a pro tem official.
- A minimum of three (3) Committee members present at a meeting shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. The act(s) of the members present at a meeting at which a quorum is present shall constitute an act of the Beautification Committee.
- The Committee shall assess needs within the community to ensure appropriate maintenance and beautification of its green areas, roadways and common facilities buildings. When areas of concern arise that overlap with the responsibilities assigned to any other standing committee or department of the AHPOA, the BC will work with that committee or department to identify the problem(s) and effect resolution.
- The Committee shall provide input and advice through the BOD to the General Manager for consideration of the above areas in the annual operating and capital budgets. A long range “capital needs” plan shall be provided to the AHPOA BOD prior to its budget cycle and shall be updated at least annually.
- The Committee, on a case-by-case basis will consult the BOD, through the Board Liaison, on interior design and space utilization and landscaping requirements within the community.
- The Committee shall spearhead volunteer programs to accomplish community self-help projects that relate to the beautification of the properties of the Association.
- Regular Committee meetings shall take place at a time and place established by the BC. All meetings shall be held within Aquia Harbour.
- Committee meetings shall be open to all AHPOA members. A schedule containing date, time, and place of meetings shall be prominently displayed in the AHPOA business office by the Secretary of the BOD.
- The BC will report directly to the AHPOA Board of Directors.
- Complete written minutes of its proceedings shall be forwarded to the Secretary of the BOD who shall provide copies to each member of the BOD and ensure that an approved copy of said minutes is included in the official records of the AHPOA.
The Bylaws Committee is responsible for reviewing proposed changes to the AHPOA Bylaws that have been submitted by members of the Association. The process is defined in the AHPOA Bylaw Article XII.
The committee has no regular meeting schedule. Meetings of the committee are called and then scheduled on receipt of a proposal. All meetings are open to AHPOA members. Attempts will be made to post meetings of the committee on this site when called.
The Aquia Harbour Communications Committee has eight Harbour residents currently serving as members and two current AHPOA Board Members serving as liaisons. With an infusion of new members, unique perspectives and diverse attributes the Committee looks forward to facing the current communication challenges within our distinctive community.
The Committee will publish our mission statement, goals, minutes and updated meeting information on a timely basis within the website & message boards.
The purpose of the Communications Committee is to provide and disseminate the timely exchange of information to the residents on matters of interest and concern. The goal is to promote effective dialogue, understanding, public trust and confidence. The Committee will work to promote goodwill among the residents of Aquia Harbour and strive to create and maintain a positive reputation for the community both internally and externally.
Committee membership is open to Aquia Harbour property owners.
To contact the committee please call the business office at (540) 659-3050.
The Community Events Committee will serve to increase community involvement and provide support to community events as determined by the committee in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
To contact the committee chairman, please email.
Fish & Game
COMMITTEE: Established hereby is the Aquia Harbour Fish and Game Committee (AHFGC) which will have as its primary purpose the development, preservation and management of Aquia Creek’s fish and game resources. The committee’s geographic responsibility is the part of Aquia Creek enclosed by the Aquia Harbour Property Owners Associations (AHPOA). Governing laws for the AHFGC will abide by the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) rules and regulations as published on a yearly basis by the state of Virginia.
FUNCTION: The AHFGC shall be an advisory and action committee to act on behalf of the AHPOA. AHFGC will execute the AHFGC rules and guidelines to ease property and safety concerns to assure opportunity for the benefit of the AHPOA membership.
COMPOSITION: The AHFGC shall consist of a minimum of five (5) members and a maximum twelve (12) members in addition to a non voting member of the Board of Directors (BOD), who will act as liaison to the Board of Directors. Each member shall serve for a term of one (1) year or until his/her successor is appointed by the BOD and shall be an active member in good standing with the AHPOA for his/her entire tenure in office. The members of the AHFGC shall elect a Chairperson, a Treasurer, and a Secretary.
- A majority of members shall present a quorum for the transaction of business. The act of the members present at a meeting at which a quorum is present shall constitute as an act of the AHFGC.
- The Committee is authorized to work and coordinate with the AHPOA General Manager.
- At the request of the BOD, committee members shall provide advocacy between the AHPOA and the VDGIF or Federal agencies as required with issues directly related to the governance of Aquia Creek’s fish and game. • Development of wildlife attractants for fish and game.
- The AHFGC will be responsible for obtaining all licenses as required by the VGDIF on behalf of the AHPOA. With reimbursement for said licenses from the AHPOA.
- The AHFGC will be responsible for developing and maintaining duck blinds and or deer blinds in accordance with the VGDIF regulations.
- AHFGC will be responsible for developing any specific guidelines in relation to fishing and hunting deemed reasonable by the committee. These guidelines must be within the rules and laws established by VDGIF and any other legal governance and must be approved by the BOD.
AHFGC will be responsible for managing all licenses and insurance required for their activity and shall not in any way be linked to the AHPOA other than to protect the AHPOA from frivolous law suites.
- Regular committee meetings shall take place at a time and place established by the AHFGC. All meetings shall be held within Aquia Harbour and shall follow rules established in Roberts’ Rules of Order, as applicable. Meetings shall be subject to the call of the chair.
- Members may participate in a meeting of the committee by means of a phone conference.
Committee meetings shall be open to all AHPOA members. A schedule containing date, time, and place of meetings shall be prominently displayed in the AHPOA business office, web page or any other appropriate place as deemed appropriate by the Secretary of the BOD.
- The AHFGC will report directly to the AHPOA Board of Directors.
- Complete written minutes of its proceedings, properly executed by the committee and approved by committee members, shall be forwarded to the Secretary of the BOD who shall provide copies to each member of the BOD and ensure that an approved copy of said minutes is included in the official records of the AHPOA.
Meets on the 1st Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the Country Club
Golf Committee Charter
Article I – NAME
The name of this organization shall be “Aquia Harbour Property Owners Association Golf Committee.”
Article II – Purpose
1.The primary purpose of the Aquia Harbour Property Owners Association (AHPOA) Golf Committee is to assist the AHPOA Board of Directors by ensuring the Golf Course is operated in the best interests of the AHPOA and in strict compliance with the rules and regulations of the USGA and VSGA.
2.Additional functions of the Golf Committee are:
a.to recommend course improvements including maintenance to the Golf Course Manager.
b.to develop and recommend long & short term capital facilities planning.
c.to promote golf programs & perform marketing planning for golf course utilization with emphasis on AHPOA membership utilization.
d.to assist with the development of annual budget in coordination with the golf course manager.
e.to provide information and recommendations to AHPOA Board of Directors via monthly reports. This will include opposing views as expressed by dissenting members.
Article III – Governing Body
The governing body shall be the AHPOA Board of Directors (BOD).
Article IV – Membership
There shall be the following classes of members:
- Voting member. A voting member shall be an Aquia Harbour Property Owner, in good standing, with an interest in the AHPOA golfing community and/or related experience. The optimum makeup of the committee is considered to be 10-12 members.
- Non-voting member. Non-voting members shall be 2 AHPOA BOD liaisons and the AHPOA Golf Course/Pro Shop Manager. AHPOA Golf Course Associate Members may serve as non-voting members of the AHPOA Golf Committee.
- Committee will endeavor to include in its membership, Seniors (70 y/o) Females, and associate members.
Article V – Meetings
The AHPOA Golf Committee shall convene on 1st Tuesday of each month at 7:00PM at the AHPOA Country Club. Meetings shall be run under “Roberts Rules of Order”. A majority of the voting members shall constitute a quorum.
Order of business:
- Call to order
- Approval of minutes from previous meeting.
- Announcements (if any)
- Sub-committee reports
- Old business
- New Business
Article VI – Golf Committee Bylaws
The AHPOA Golf Committee shall have power to make Golf Committee bylaws, and to repeal or amend them.
Article VII – Amendments
The committee shall make recommendations to the Board for amendments to the charter.
Approved by the AHPOA Board of Directors April 30, 2007 Revised version approved May 27, 2010
Meets on the 2nd Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the AHPOA business office. The mission of the marina committee is to monitor the marina facilities, services and usage and to make improvement suggestions to the Board of Directors, so the marina continues to develop and remain a positive cash flow for the homeowners of Aquia Harbour. Marina committee members advise on the long term plans for the marina, including improvements, taking into consideration the mission of the marina based upon input from marina users, associated clubs, professional organizations and Aquia Harbour Property Owners. Members also work in cooperation with partnerships to increase property values such as Boats US, Stafford County of Tourism, Virginia Department of Health, Clean Marina Program, Mid-Potomac Power Squadron, United States Coast Guard Auxiliary and the Aquia Harbour Yacht Club. In 2006, through partnerships the marina committee obtained approximately $20,000 in grants for Aquia Harbour.
Parks and Recreation
or email the AHPOA business office.
The Public Safety Committee’s purpose is to both foster action to improve the public safety of the residents and employees of the AHPOA and to serve as an advisory committee to the Board of Directors. The committee meets monthly at the Aquia Harbour Police Station. Contact the AHPOA business office, email@example.com, for more information on this committee.
Riparian Resources Committee
The purpose of the Riparian Resources Committee is to assist with dredging and other matters related to Aquia Creek. Please contact the office for more information on this committee. 540-659-3050
The Stable Committee was recently re-established on September 22, 2021, and is currently working on a charter. Please contact the office for more information about this committee. 540-659-3050